Ache No More: Relief for you Feet and Ankles
The feet and ankles are the unsung heroes of the body. They carry the full weight of every step using some of the smallest bones and joints, as well as hundreds of ligaments, tendons and muscles. Given this complexity, it is not surprising that most people will experience problems with their feet or ankles at some point in their lives.
Foot and ankle pain can disrupt a healthy lifestyle by causing us to discontinue normal activities like walking, running and many other forms of exercise. Fortunately, there have been many advances in foot and ankle care in recent years and many people find relief with treatment. The key is working with an expert who has your best interest in mind—experts like the master surgeons at St. Vincent Charity.
WHEN TO SEEK HELP
There are a wide range of issues that can affect the feet and ankles. If you experience any of the following, you should see a doctor:
- Severe pain or swelling of the foot or ankle
- Persistent pain or swelling that doesn't improve after two to five days of home treatment
- Persistent pain that doesn't improve after several weeks
TREATMENTS AT ST. VINCENT CHARITY
- Foot and Ankle Reconstructive Surgery
- Total Ankle Replacement Surgery
- Athletic Foot and Ankle Injuries
- Foot and Ankle Acute Trauma Management
- Application of External Fixation Devices
- Limb Preservation and Management of Diabetic Foot Wounds »
Total Ankle Replacement (Arthroplasty)—Total ankle replacement is a newer surgical option for patients with degenerative conditions such as advanced arthritis of the ankle, resulting in severe pain and loss of function and mobility. The popularity of the procedure has increased significantly as the implants have improved. Total ankle replacement offers an alternative to ankle fusion which can relieve pain but eliminates motion in the joint.