“What the heck did the doctor say?”
- The doctor’s job is to take care of you.
- Ask the doctor or nurse to write down why, when and how to take your medicine.
- Let the doctor know if you do not have a computer for instructions.
- Bring a friend or family member to your appointment with you.
- Write down a list of your questions or concerns and bring to your appointment. You might say:
“This is new to me. Will you please explain that to me one more time?”
Ask Me 3
Ask Me 3 was developed by the Partnership for Clear Health Communication. It was written to help encourage you—patients—to be active in your doctor visits and empower you to be sure you know the answers to three questions at the end of every visit or conversation with a healthcare professional.
Answers to these simple questions will help you understand your diagnosis, treatment and context.
The 3 questions are:
- What is my main problem?
- What do I need to do?
- Why is it important for me to do this?