Plastic Surgery Rotation
- To improve upon the knowledge and skill of the podiatric resident through exposure in Plastic Surgery.
Upon completion of this rotation, the resident will be able to:
- Recognize normal and abnormal complications of wound healing and recommend appropriate treatment.
- Be able to select appropriate suture materials and needles for the repair of various tissue layers.
- To perform various tissue closure techniques efficiently.
- Discuss the various types of skin grafts and flaps including their applications in the foot and ankle.
- Apply various techniques applicable to hand surgery appropriate to foot and ankle surgery.
- Recognize and treat hypertrophic scars and keloids.
- Make an appropriate referral to a plastic surgeon for consultation.
- The resident participates in a block rotation under the direction of an attending physician and/or designee.
- The resident will perform duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- The resident is responsible for identifying appropriate readings to help achieve the objectives outlined above.
- An evaluation will be completed on each resident by the Director of Plastic Surgery or designee. All residents will be expected to complete an evaluation of the rotation.
- Weinzweig N., Dowden R.V., Stulberg B.N. The Use of Tissue Expansion to Allow Reconstruction of the Knee. JBJS Vol. 69A, No. 8:1238-40, 1987.
- Dowden, R.V., Marks K.E., Stulberg B.N. Expandable Breast Implant Reconstruction of Tikhoff-Linberg Shoulder Deformity. Plastic & Recon. Surg. Vol. 85, No. 1:112-15, 1990.
- Dowden, R.V. Definition of Terms for Describing Loss of Gel from Breast Implants. AJR:160:1360, 1993.
- Dowden, R.V. Achieving a Natural Inframammary Fold and Ptotic Effect in the Reconstructed Breast. Annals of Plastic Surg. Vol. 19, No. 6:524-29, 1987.
- Dowden, R.V. Perioprosthetic Bacteria and the Breast Implant Patient with Systemic Symptoms. Plastic & Recon. Surg. Vol. 94, No. 2:300-05, 1994.
- Stone J., Dowden R.V. Breast Implant Endoscopy - Detecting Leaks in Silicone-Gel Breast Implants. AORN Vol. 59, No. 5:1007-15, 1994.
- Dowden R.V., Dinner M.I., Labandter H.P. Breast Reduction for Asymmetrical Hypertrophy. Plastic & Recon Surg. Vol. 73, No. 6:928-32, 1984.
- Mathes, Nahai. Clinical Applications of Myocutaneous Flaps. p.3-36, 74-99, 120-37, 150-54, 524-31, 568-77, 585-609. (See Dr. Binder).